Well, it’s official. The Big Day is actually on the calendar. Our visas are in hand, the date has been set, and the tickets have been purchased. The countdown has started!!
September 18th. In a mere 18 days, I am moving out of the country. I can’t even begin to wrap my brain around that!! …and I’m nowhere near ready. I’m not sure how the logistics are all going to come together for me to be packed and ready to get on an airplane, but I’m just trusting God that it will.
Here’s our basic schedule for the next 2+ weeks:
- Right now we’re in Chattanooga visiting with Nate’s family. We’ll have to tell most of them goodbye at the end of this week, so that will be emotional and hard. But for the next few days, we’re relaxing, watching movies, playing board games, (a little Settlers of Catan, anyone?) and just hanging out. Plus the boys are getting spoiled rotten, and they’re not ready to go home anytime soon.
- We’ll head back to Jackson next Tuesday the 4th, and we’ll have to hit the ground running. We’re hoping to have our bags packed for Colombia, the house cleaned out, and be ready to move in with my parents 4 days later on Saturday. It’ll be a whirlwind couple of days, that’s for sure. Thankfully I’ve got a few people rounded up who are willing to take my kids during the day for some fun outings so they don’t have to be at home experiencing the chaos.
- At that point, we’ll have about 8 days left, which we’ll spend living at my parents’ house and spending time with family. The goal is to be finished with everything by then so that we can just relax, but I’m sure we’ll think of last-minute things we have to do or buy and the time will fill up quickly. Our intention is to have some time at the end just for good solid family time, and I’d like to think that we’ll be organized enough to make it happen!
- On Sunday the 16th, our church will be having their first service in our new building, and we are so excited that we’ll be in town for it!! They are going to “commission” us that morning during the service, so it will be doubly special. That evening, we’ll have a drop-in, “open house” type goodbye party at my parents place so that we can tell as many people goodbye as possible. (more info about that coming soon!)
- Monday the 17th, we’ll finish up last minute stuff and have dinner with my family, then
- we’ll leave on Tuesday, September 18th!
It’s crazy to think we’re this close. Nate and I have been praying and planning for this for 8 years now. We’ve been actively searching for the Lord’s guidance toward a particular field for 4 years. We’ve been committed to this apprenticeship program for almost 2 years, and raising support for 15 months. And now we’re down to 18 days until we get on a plane. It doesn’t feel real.
In 18 days, we’ll open to page 1 of a whole new chapter of our lives. And I can’t wait!