We’ve been home from the hospital for almost a week now, and we feel like we are somewhat getting the hang of taking care of two little ones. We’ve had a couple of little issues that have come up, but we’re learning how to deal with those, too. Here are the highlights:
- The boys turned 3 weeks old on Thursday! I can’t believe it has already been that long…it’s weird to think that I still have 3 more weeks until my due date.
- we successfully transitioned from a 3 hour schedule to a 4 hour schedule, at the recommendation of the NICU nurses before we left the hospital.
- we were discharged on Monday, but went back to the hospital on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week to have bloodwork done. Noah was able to get off of the bili-light on Tuesday, but Barrett had to stay on his until Friday. Now they are both finished with their phototherapy and are doing great!
- As of yesterday, Noah was up to 6lb 12oz (+1lb 4oz over his birthweight) and Barrett was 5lb 3oz (+1lb 6oz). They are eating like champs. When we left the hospital on Monday, Barrett had gained an additional 2 inches in length and Noah had gained 1.5 inches.
- We have to feed them some special formula twice a day that is high in iron, plus an iron supplement, and I have to take an iron supplement as well… all to help combat the anemia. It seems to be helping, but unfortunately it makes Barrett a little constipated. He’s a pretty content and happy baby unless he’s trying to poop!
- The only issue we’re having with Noah is that he has a hard time holding his pacifier in his mouth… but he doesn’t want to go to sleep without it. We’re trying to figure out how to teach him to keep it in his mouth, or to sleep without it. Hopefully this stage won’t last long!
- Now that their little bodies aren’t working so hard to burn off all of those bad antibodies, they are not sleeping quite as much as they were. They are a little more alert during the day and it is so fun to be able to interact with them a little!
- Nate’s mom leaves tomorrow, so we’ll be officially on our own. (except that my entire family lives here in town and has offered us lots of help!) I have a feeling I might be a little more tired next week!
Those are the highlights… we have taken lots more pictures so hopefully I’ll get those uploaded soon!