Since several people asked me for this recipe, I thought I’d go ahead and post it.
I’m not sure where this recipe came from, but my mom and at least one of my aunts have been cooking it for years. I’ve tried several other versions of this from online, and none of them ever measure up!!
One thing I love about this recipe is that it’s so forgiving. If I do things in the wrong order, it doesnt matter. If I substitute something out because I don’t have it in my cabinet, it’s usually okay. Basically as long as you don’t leave out anything major, you can’t really screw it up. It reheats perfectly, and its easy to freeze. And you can double or triple it without a problem. Plus its DELICIOUS. And it has few enough ingredients that I don’t even have to write down the grocery list!! See why I like it so much??
Mom’s (and Aunt Beth’s) Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 6 cups diced or shredded chicken, cooked and lightly seasoned. (I bake several boneless chicken breasts with olive oil, salt & pepper, then dice them up. Or, if I’m especially lazy, I just pick up a fully cooked rotisserie chicken from the store and shred it.)
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 lb each cheddar cheese and Monterrey jack cheeses
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 pkg tortillas (I use whole-wheat)
- Mix sour cream, soup, and 2/3 of cheese together in a large bowl. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.
- Add chicken to the mixture and stir well.
- Layer the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish with tortillas. Add a layer of mixture. Add another layer of tortillas. (You can also put a little of the mixture inside a tortilla, wrap it up, and line several of these in the bottom of the dish, side by side. This is more enchilada-like, but takes longer and doesn’t change the taste at all.)
- Top with the 1 cup of chicken-less mixture you set aside earlier.
- Layer with chilies on top.
- Add the leftover 1/3 of cheese.
- (refrigerate overnight if you have time)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
Very easy. Very good. A very common request for dinner around our house!